Monday, April 4, 2016

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2016 - Letter C

Celebrate the Magic: Let me tell you a little about us sisters. We are both in our sixties (I'm heading out of them this year) and although we have always been close, in the past several years I've  been visiting her every few months. She lives up by Buffalo, I live just above Manhattan. It's an hour or so by plane but 6 1/2 to 7 hours by car or train (my recent form of travel, but that's another story). When I retired, I would go help out in her first grade class several times a year. Now that Alison is retired, we spend a week or so each season doing craft projects, going to classes, shopping, talking incessantly, solving world problems and babysitting for her one year old grandson, Nicholas.

Coloring Book, Copyright 1964, Walt Disney Productions
Going to Disney had always been on the back burner for me. I am much more of a beach person when I vacation- Mystic, CT; Newport, RI; the coast of Maine. I've also taken three cruises- Bermuda twice and up the coast and into the St. Lawrence River to Quebec City. Traveling to the heat of Florida with my husband to walk around acres of an amusement park wasn't high on the list.

However, exchange my husband for my sister and add in Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan and Cinderella with colors, music and fireworks and that's when you create the Magic. Alison and I are very much the product of our childhood. We both were young when television first came into households. We watched The Mickey Mouse Club originals after school and the Sunday night Disney program faithfully. We saw the original runs of the fairy tale films in the movies. We colored in Winnie the Pooh coloring books and had fashion paper dolls of Snow White.

So, a six day trip to Disney with Alison was certainly something to celebrate...

4 comments:

JoJo said...

You live just above Manhattan? My family is from Yonkers...do you live near there? I loved the Mickey Mouse Club too but they were airing as reruns in the 70s when I was growing up.

Andrea said...

I live 2 hours east of Buffalo on the thruway if you are driving and need a planned stop! :)

Weekends in Maine said...

Sounds like a great trip with your sister. There's definitely a lot of celebrating you can do at Disney!

@WeekendsInMaine
Weekends in Maine

Heather M. Gardner said...

There is plenty of Magic at Disney.

Heather M. Gardner / @hmgardner
Co-Host, Blogging from A to Z April Challenge
The Waiting is the Hardest Part